ADSM-L

Why can authorized users delete my files?

1996-12-19 11:23:53
Subject: Why can authorized users delete my files?
From: Vern Maxson <VM AT IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 11:23:53 EST
I archived some files and then used the "Utilities/Set authorization"
screen to grant archive access to another user on a different node.
The help screen says this gives that account permission to retrieve
my files, but that account can also delete them.  The machine I am on
is set so that I cannot delete files that I archive, but the machine
the other user is on is set so that they can delete files they archive.
It seems that this also gives them permission to delete my archived
files as well.  I want that person to be able to retrieve my files,
but not delete them.  What can I do?

What if I wanted to make some of my files generally available to anyone?
There would be no protection at all.  Anyone could delete them, as long
as they were on a machine that authorized them to delete archived files.
And shouldn't they be allowed to delete their own files?  I just don't
want them deleting mine.