ADSM-L

Copy pool bug?

1996-12-17 15:52:57
Subject: Copy pool bug?
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 12:52:57 PST
This looks like APAR PN88604.  The fix will be included in PTF Level 12.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development
------------------------------- Referenced Note ---------------------------
We recently implemented copypools, and I have noticed the following strange
We recently implemented copypools, and I have noticed the following strange
behavior:

     119 Backup Storage Pool  Primary Pool TISDSERV_PTAPE, Copy Pool
                               TISDCOPY_S, Files Backed Up: 0, Bytes Backed
Up:
                               0, Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes: 0.
                               Current File (bytes): 612,870

                               Waiting for mount of input volume 317698 (101
                               seconds).

                               Waiting for access to output volume 315076 (102
                               seconds).

     120 Backup Storage Pool  Primary Pool TISDSERV_PTAPE, Copy Pool
                               TISDCOPY_S, Files Backed Up: 86, Bytes Backed
                               Up: 28,466,326, Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable

                               Current input volume: 327320.

                               Current output volume: 315076.

I issued a BACKUP STGPOOL command with maxprocess=2.  As you can see - the
input and output pools are the same.  What appears to be happening is that
both processes would like to write to the same output tape.  I would assume
that the output tape will be completely filled; therefore, why is it being
mounted in both processes?  Since this is a copypool, I did not think that the
copypool tape would be used for input, so am disregarding that possibility.
Also, both input and output pools are colocated.

This sure looks like a bug to me - can anyone explain it?   Server is MVS at
V2 level 7.

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com