ADSM-L

Re: how many adsm servers should one run on one mainframe

1996-12-17 10:56:38
Subject: Re: how many adsm servers should one run on one mainframe
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:56:38 EST
On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 at 22:24:51 EST, Leonard Boyle said:

> We have been growing the number of clients that we backup with adsm.
> For now we are not having any problems finishing the backups
> overnight. But our db is growing. We are now at 42% of 3.7 gig of
> 3390 space.
>
> By this time next year this should be several times as large.
> How do other sites determine when they should create a separate
> adsm server instead of just added clients and disk space to
> an existing server?  I would like to do this before we hit a
> performance wall.

We are running 3 ADSM servers under VM on an IBM 3090-600E.  To answer
the question in your subject line, I'd recommend no more than one server
per processor, and the reason to add a server is to spread the load
across multiple processors.

Our largest server has 2100 clients (a mixture of Windows, Mac, Suns,
Irises, and Novell servers, i.e., everything from the smallest desk top
machine that can run ADSM to very large servers).  This is too large a
load for a 3090E processor, as ADSM database access is extremely CPU-
intensive.  (The database for this server is 10G, 94% utilized.  The
server virtual machine uses about 96% of a processor most of the time.)

Having watched performance degrade as the load on this server grew, I
have concluded that I will not let the other servers grow to more than
1000 clients.  (I have closed off registration on the first server, and
it is gradually losing clients, as students graduate, etc.)

I'm not sure what we'll do when we need more than 6 servers.

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University