ADSM-L

Re: Cartridge drive utilisation question

1996-12-16 21:48:06
Subject: Re: Cartridge drive utilisation question
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:48:06 EST
On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 12:46:59 +1300 Dianne Sharp said:
>I have checked the Migration processes for the disk pool and it is
>already set to 1.  The log from ADSM definitely indicated that only one
>process was running.  The question is why was it using 2 cartridge
>drives?
>
>Dianne Sharp

Dianne You might want to check the settings for mount limit and mount
retention on the device class that defines your tape pool
ADM will keep extra tapes/carts mounted in idle status up until the
mount retention period. So if you have a mount limit of 2 and cart 1
is used. When the migrate is finished with it, cart 2 will be mounted
on the next drive. If you do a query mount, you should see one as idle
and the other as in use. If adsm finishes with cart 2 and needs cart 3,
it will dismount cart 1 before the mount retention period is reached.

It keeps the cart/tapes in case the drive is required again.

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513