ADSM-L

Searching w/inactive turned on

1996-12-13 15:36:23
Subject: Searching w/inactive turned on
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:36:23 -0800
I'm seeing very bad performance when searching for files to be
restored when I am viewing both active and inactive files. I'm
curious to know if there are problems with my configuration or if
this performance is typical.

Server: ADSM/6000 v2r1 Level 0.8 on an SP2 wide node, 256MB ram

The following is the results of 'q occ' on this particular
filespace:

OSIRIS          /osiris2     3590CPOOL   1,443,285  346,581.62

(yes, that's 1.4 million files, 338 GB of data)

If I am searching for files to be restored (whether GUI or
command line), with inactive files turned on, it takes
approximately 45 minutes to build the directory tree. If I then
change directories it takes as much as five to fifteen minutes to
build a list of files in that directory. This makes browsing the
directory tree of this file structure nearly impossible. Is ADSM
not caching the initial list of files after taking 45 minutes to
build? There is little to no problem with performance if I don't
include inactive files, which I do not fully understand. I keep
two inactive copies for every file, which would suggest that any
degradation in performance should be on the order of 2x or 3x,
not two to three *magnitudes*.

Looking for any ideas on how this performance my be optimized.

Thanks. -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>