ADSM-L

Re: Lost VCR data on Magstar tape

1996-12-13 11:28:30
Subject: Re: Lost VCR data on Magstar tape
From: "Ken R. Collop" <collop AT SEATTLEU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 08:28:30 -0800
I have had several instances of the lost VCR over the past couple of
weeks and have used the following procedure to verify the data on the
tapes involved.

My configuration includes a IBM3494 library and two IBM3590 tape drives.

I'll use tape number 005001 in this example.

checko libv 3494lib 005001
checki libv 3494lib 005001 stat=pri devt=3590
aud vol 005001 fix=no

The checko/checki may not be necessary if the volume is currently checked
in to the library but I perform the two steps just to make sure that the
tape can be mounted and read by the tape drives prior to running the tape
volume audit.

The tape audits have all completed without any errors.  I am currently
using all tapes that got lost VCR without any problems.

The lost VCR was caused by a 3590 hardware problem that has been fixed.

Ken Collop                      Internet: collop AT seattleu DOT edu
Systems Manager                 Phone:    (206) 296-5558
Seattle University              Fax:      (206) 296-5561
Seattle, WA 98122