ADSM-L

Re: How would ADSM deal with a large numbered workstation deployment?

1996-12-12 16:28:40
Subject: Re: How would ADSM deal with a large numbered workstation deployment?
From: Francisco Reyes <reyes01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:28:40 -0500
On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:01:54 -0500, Dennis Taylor wrote:

>Windows (TBD 95 or NT) based workstations--500 in the first wave alone.
>The workstations will be identical, all loaded with the same template of
>office suite and other applications.

>My question is how (if at all) to propose a backup solution using ADSM.

So far it would seem that other than the exclude parameters there
isn't much else that you could do with ADSM.

In my opinion the problem is on where the burden of the solution
would be. For instance, one possibility would be to try to have a
data directory where your users would place all their data (possibly
with subdirectories). This scheme places the burden on your users. On
the other side for the ADSM admin to try to come up with a solution
would be very difficult, time consuming and may require a substantial
investment getting/adding hardware.

Another possibility is to have most programs in the server and the
data on the local drive. The problem with this is that this would
greatly increase the networking demands.