ADSM-L

High speed locate for DLT?

1996-12-12 15:38:10
Subject: High speed locate for DLT?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:38:10 -0500
Last week Craig Bell provided some excellent information to this list
about the way ADSM uses the high-speed locate feature of 3590 tape
drives.

Can someone tell me if Quantum DLT drives also have a high speed locate
feature, and if ADSM uses it?

We are going to quickly push the capacity limits of our tape libraries.
We could convert the drives in the library from 3490 to DLT, and get a
considerable boost in capacity.  But, we are concerned that they would
not be fast enough.

I have seen improved numbers for recent models of DLT drives on write
throughput, and they might be fast enough for our backups.  But I am
very concerned about the issue of locate speed, both for restores and
because we expect these libraries to eventually contain HSM-migrated
data, where users will expect the fastest possible recalls.

Thanks!
==
Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab