ADSM-L

Re: Database corruption??

1996-12-12 10:29:34
Subject: Re: Database corruption??
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:29:34 -0500
Paul Walmsley asks if other customers have been successfully running
their databases on a non-IBM drive.
Yes, we've been running them for months on external Seagate ST15150W
drives, and have had no trouble.  IBM's advice to move the database to
an IBM drive is obviously corporateering, and is meaningless considering
how often they incorporate other makers' drives in their enclosures.
I would encourage you to make use of ADSM mirroring, to give you the
flexibility of continuing operation after a drive problem and the
chance to run full diagnostics on it.  You should always have a spare
drive ready to put in place of a suspect one, rather than go through
heroics trying to get the problem one working while ADSM remains down.
You may have a bad drive, but in general should review all other factors:
environmentals such as temperature, jolting, power; operationals such
as interruptions due to host or OS failure or operator error; etc.
     Richard Sims, Boston University OIT