ADSM-L

Re: ADSM & WINDOWS NT

1996-12-11 21:54:49
Subject: Re: ADSM & WINDOWS NT
From: Tim Mortimer <tim_mortimer AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 21:54:49 EST
>This will just be the first of many messages telling you to visit IBMs
>website for Redbooks where the whole story on NT "Bare Metal Restores"
>is written.  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com
>
>My NT support person believes that he could offer fully procedurized
>recoveries for all NT systems on campus that are backed up by ADSM
>using a single common zip drive volume.  This volume contains a simple
>NT install and the ADSM client.  The recovery replaces the simple
>install so a reboot puts the system back to the status after the last
>backup.   If all this works as well as hoped then we plan to offer the
>procedures to IBM as Redbook draft review feedback.

I'm pleased to hear this has been well received and we're very keen for
feedback on this.

There are two further ideas that didn't make it into that material that
you might wish to consider:

1, When performing the restore, running NT from a repair partition,
   rather than restoring the system partition and then manually copying
   the registry directories, use an ADSM macro to restore the registry
   backup directly back to the \%SystemRoot%\system32\config directory.

2, The creation of the repair partition is based on installing NT to
   get all the correct drivers etc. I believe that it could also be
   created by restoring the backed up system partition down to a Zip
   cartridge. This removes the requirement to install a repair
   partition for each different h/w config. However, the downside
   is that the boot partition would have to be manually created. In
   particular the definitions in the boot.ini file.

Cheers,
Tim Mortimer
ITSO San Jose
Internet: Tim_Mortimer AT vnet.ibm DOT com