ADSM-L

How would ADSM deal with a large numbered workstation deployment?

1996-12-11 09:01:54
Subject: How would ADSM deal with a large numbered workstation deployment?
From: Dennis Taylor <TAYLORDC AT GUNET.GEORGETOWN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:01:54 -0500
We have been using ADSM for more than 3 years to backup a small (less
than 50) collection of Unix, NT, Windows, Novell--servers &
workstations.

My organization is planning a rapid deployment of a large number of
Windows (TBD 95 or NT) based workstations--500 in the first wave alone.
The workstations will be identical, all loaded with the same template of
office suite and other applications.

My question is how (if at all) to propose a backup solution using ADSM.

The problem, which has been discussed on this list previously, is the
large amount of redundant data.

500 workstations at say 6000 files each and 600 MB each will require on
the order of 2GB ADSM database capacity and nearly 300 GB storage pool
capacity.

All of this for non-original/non-unique data.  The suggestion on this
list in the past was to just ramp up HW and deal with it...  I just
don't think it would fit in this case.  We would tie up a relatively
large automated tape library for nothing.

I would guess that I could exclude the template files (the 6000).  But
if the user downloads his/her own patches to the OS or application code
we wouldn't pick it up.  Perhaps dynamically build a specific exclude
list (but the I am not sure scheduled backups would reread this)?  Use
the API (no)?

Comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dennis Taylor
taylordc AT gunet.georgetown DOT edu