ADSM-L

Re: ADSM server on WindowsNT hanging the system??

1996-12-09 23:19:54
Subject: Re: ADSM server on WindowsNT hanging the system??
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BTAL.COM DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:19:54 +1100
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response.

Mike Collins wrote:
> The GA version of the code has a defect having to do with the use of
> ctrl-c on the ADSM server when run as a console application. In that
> case when a ctrl-c is pressed the thread that monitors console input
> would not deal with the event properly and would end.  The console
> would then behave similar to what you describe.  This is fixed in the
> upcoming PTF1.
>
> I rarely run the ADSM server as a console and instead run it as a
> service from the server utilities. You may want to try this to
> determine if the problem is console related.

The good news is that we haven't seen the problem again since I wrote my
first note. There were two things that we changed. First, we now have
the ADSM server running as an NT service. And second, we played around
with the drivers that were being used for the tape i.e. ADSM vs NT
drivers. In fact, when I first wrote my note, we hadn't even been able
to get the tape drive configured. Now we have. So, whether the change
was to do with the drivers not being setup correctly or running the
server as a service, or something else again, we're not sure. But things
look good now.

> To help determine the cause of this it would be good to know the
> details of your hardware and OS as well as how you have adsm configured
> -- which devices, nt drivers or adsm drivers, which protocols are
> being used and with which clients - as well as well whether adsm
> was idle or actively backing up data when this happens.  Also, whether
> the machine locks up or just the adsm console, and whether or not

Our server is a Compaq Proliant with WindowsNT V4.0 Service Pack 1 and
32MB memory. The tape drives that we have used are (as identified by the
ADSM Server Diagnostics) HP C1533A and 'ARCHIVE 4326XX 27871-XXX4BGD'.

We are using TCP/IP exclusively and we have only one client, the same
system that the server is running on.

We have tried both the ADSM SCSI drive and the NT drivers and have not
had a problem with either.

As I have already said, the problem seems to have gone now, but we will
certainly keep an eye on things and let you know if the problem
reoccurs.

regards,

Trevor
--
Trevor Foley                             Phone: 61-2-9259 3944
Trevor Foley                             Phone: 61-2-9259 3944