ADSM-L

ADSM Listening and Usability

1996-12-06 18:01:47
Subject: ADSM Listening and Usability
From: "Paul L. Bradshaw" <pbradshaw AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 15:01:47 PST
Hi Francisco.  I'm one of the persons that define the feature sets and
content of the ADSM product family.  I have presented to many
companies around the world, both 1-on-1 and in conference sessions the
ADSM trends and directions.  The goal of these presentations is to
show where we are headed, and solicit customer feedback on whether we
are on the right track or not.  We keep a requirements database (of
which ADSM-R is an input) that currently has over 1,900 requirements
in it.  Some are duplicates, some slightly different that others, and
many unique.  We group these together into function or feature
categories, and then use those as a key input to our next release
(sorry, the requirements DB cannot be made public).  These items, in
addition to where the computer industry is headed and what we must do
to stay ahead of our competition are key factors in determining what
we do next.

Our next release has targeted 3 main areas to focus on (all with equal
priority):

1: Usability - make the product easier to use with new interfaces, etc.
               Expect to see new client interfaces.  For admin usability
               see #3 below.
2: Performance - this is a continuous focus.  As the environments grow,
                 performance must grow to keep pace in scalability,
                 raw speeds and feeds, and unique techniques to minimize
                 the amount of data that needs to be backed up.
3: Systems management - Once again, as environments grow, the ability to
                 run and operate multiple ADSM installations with minimal
                 resource is critical.

To find out more,
ADSM sessions are held at many major computer conferences on a regular
basis (Guide, Share, Storage Symposiums, special road-shows in an area
near you, etc.) and the trends and directions are usually part of these
sessions.  I encourage you to follow our Web page to see when one might
be coming your way.  Hopefully we are going to be addressing many of your
needs in our next release.

Cheers,

Paul Bradshaw