ADSM-L

ADSM and Oracle

1996-12-06 16:29:22
Subject: ADSM and Oracle
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:29:22 EST
>We are using ADSM 2.1.0.5 to backup a number of Oracle 7.2 / 7.3 =
>databases running on AIX 3.2.5 systems.
>
>These Oracle databases are mounted onto filesystems (i.e. not raw =
>devices) and are being backed up by using the ADSM 2.1.0.7 server =
>(running on MVS) to schedule a script on the clients which:-
>
>* Shuts down the database(s)
>* Performs an incremental backup
>* Restarts the database(s)

>All appears to be well but my question is this:-
>
>Via this method, ADSM backups the entire databases every day which means
>it is slow and because we have a requirement to keep all this =
>information for 6 years also means it will take up huge amounts of =
>storage space.
>
>So, is there a way, perhaps via another tool, where we can use ADSM to =
>perform incremental backups of the database itself?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>Regards
>
>Phil Chissell       phil.chissell AT research.natpower.co DOT uk
>clears out the recovery log records).

Phil, the only solution for true incremental backups is DataTools SQL-Backtrack
which uses the ADSM API.  True incremental means that only changed database
blocks are backed up.  The other type of incremental backup is what I call
simulated incremental backup.  With simulated backup you do a full backup
and then only back up the redo logs.  Simulated backup results in a potentially
much longer recovery beccause you have to apply all of the redo logs.

Please note that the ADSM direct approach that you are using today doesn't
have to be an offline backup...you can do online backup using ADSM with
Oracle's alter tablespace begin backup commands.
thanks,
Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)