ADSM-L

Re: Scheduled backup ?'s

1996-12-05 21:00:41
Subject: Re: Scheduled backup ?'s
From: Francisco Reyes <reyes01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:00:41 -0400
On Thu, 5 Dec 1996 18:03:34 -0500, Mark Rizzo wrote:

>I have a Solaris client scheduled to perform an incremental backup
>each night at 2100hrs.  I would like to add another backup schedule
>for the SAME Solaris client which would backup a different group
>of file systems. Since both backups would use the same include.def
>(my include/exclude file),  how do I separate the desired file systems
>that the scheduler would use?

I don't use Solaris but...
There are a few ways you could do this. One way is to pass a domain
parameter for the other scheduled operation so even though you have
the same file for include/exclude the domain parameter controls what
file space is backed by each of the scheduled operations.

>Is there a better way to have the same  client running
>multiple incremental backups on a different group of
>file systems?

If you want the backup to be serialised (one schedule operation, but
have it backup different file systems) then it is even easier. Add a
domain line to your option file which will specify all the
filesystems, add your include/exclude lines, and schedule the
operation early enough so all the backups are done on time.

As I mentioned at the top I don't use Solaris, but I think that the
concepts are the same.
If I am wrong hopefully others will correct. :)