ADSM-L

Re: Selective Backup and Expiration Processing

1996-12-05 20:54:48
Subject: Re: Selective Backup and Expiration Processing
From: Francisco Reyes <reyes01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:54:48 -0400
On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:50:00 -0500, Mary Vollmer wrote:

>deleted because it remains in active status.  From this I have concluded that
>selective backup processing never goes through the directories on the client to
>'find' deleted files and mark the backup copies inactive.

If you don't do an incremental over the directory/files you are
backing up with selective the deleted files will remain active.

>2) If my conclusion is correct, is there a way to get ADSM to 'find' these
>deleted files and clean up the old backup copies without having to delete the
>whole filespace or run an incremental backup of the filespace?

The optimal solution depends on your setup. A few suggestions (which
may or may not be appropiate..):
-Do an incremental right after the selective. This would work if not
many OTHER files have changed on that client. I have a case like
many OTHER files have changed on that client. I have a case like
this. Most files get changed during the day so I back them up at
night. There is ONE directory which changes in the morning. I have a
scheduled incremental which runs every morning right after the files
have been changed (I do this because I want to have a "complete set"
by 8:00am). In my case the am incremental only backs up the files
that changed at 7:30am. IF you have a simmilar case in which not many
files changed since your last incremental then running another
incremental after your selective will flag the deleted files and not
take long since most files would be skipped.

-Another alternative is to use incremental on the directory you are
currently doing a selective, but use the domain parameter to force
currently doing a selective, but use the domain parameter to force
only that directory to be looked at (I have not tried this, but it
should work).

-From your post it seems you never run an incremental over the
directory you selectively backup. How about doing a complete
directory you selectively backup. How about doing a complete
incremental once a week which will include also that directory you
backup selectively?