ADSM-L

can't restore files

2015-10-04 18:11:36
Subject: can't restore files
From: Rusty Wright <rusty AT GROAN.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
I'm on a pc running Windows NT Workstation 4.0.  I'm using the adsm
backup client, version 2, release 1, level 0.5 (ip20863) and can't
restore some files that had been backed up with the adsm backup client
ip20681.  The server is version 1, release 1, level 0.11 running on
vm.

Due to problems not related to adsm I decided to wipe my disk and
reinstall Windows NT Workstation 4.0.  The backups had been done by
adsm running as an NT service.  After I reinstalled the system, when I
try to restore the files in my home directory (c:\users\rusty) I
always get

        ANS7211E Access denied

This is if I've logged in as rusty.  If I logout and login as
administrator then I can restore the files.

It seems rather useless if normal users can't restore their own files.

And the error message is as close to useless as they get; I can't tell
if the "access denied" is due to access restrictions on the adsm
server or on my workstation.  Everything on my workstation shows that
I can write to the directories where I'm trying to restore the files
to; I can create new files and folders there.