ADSM-L

Re: ADSM difference between MVS and AIX

1996-12-04 11:03:36
Subject: Re: ADSM difference between MVS and AIX
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:03:36 -0500
Bil,
        We converted from ADSM on a 3090-500J running MVS/ESA 4.3 to ADSM on an
RS/6000 model R30 running AIX 4.1.4 in August.  We've been very happy
with the new environment and, at least in our case, have found it to
perform much better than ADSM on our MVS system.  For instance, we run
expire inventory processing once a week.  On our ADSM MVS system this
used to run 24-36 hours... on AIX, it runs 8-10 hours.  On MVS, our
daily incremental backups were usually running when I came in in the
morning.  On AIX, they've been finishing by 2:30 - 3:00 AM.  Provided
you have access to similar tape drives on both systems, the actual
migration is not difficult but can be rather tedious depending on the
amount of data and number of clients you need to migrate.  If you have
any specific questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com