ADSM-L

Re: database keeps growing??

1996-12-03 20:03:52
Subject: Re: database keeps growing??
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 19:03:52 -0600
Item Subject: database keeps growing??
     Well, I haven't read the other messages but...
     each backup/archive copy of a file takes 100+bytes (I forget the exact
     number) so that is your growth...
     Check your expire interval on your server... if it is 0 (zero) then
     you will have to manually trigger file expiration (which is best
     because then you controll when it happens) if it is 0 and you haven't
     triggered file expiration it doesn't matter how you have your policy
     domains set up because you are never deleting obsolete files...
     Could also be like I was doing at first... the expiration process was
     starting at poor times so I would just cancel the process... same
     thing, I wasn't trashing old old copies...
     I've got two servers rolling in a third currently and assembling a
     forth and fifth... but on the existing two one has a 2GB db and has
     6Terabytes of backup/archive's and the other has a 10GBdb and only
     4Terabytes of data  that is due to the first backing up SAP
     environments of large databases only(/mainly) and the second is
     backing up novell servers with A-BUH-ZILLION small, changing daily,
     multiply'n like mice, files on them... and ADSM being the fair backup
     system that it is uses just as much space keeping track of the 400
     byte file as it does tracking the 2GB file....
     Also how long are you keeping your activity log... ?  If you are
     keeping more than 7 days it would be better to dump it out to a flat
     file and archive it away on tape...
     Anyway, if I'm forgetting anything I sure someone else will catch it
     but I'm betting it is either the cold/hard/facts of the number of
     files being backed up OR the lack of housekeeping...
     GOOD LUCK :-)
     later
           Dwight