ADSM-L

Re: ADSM's lack of knowledge of IP addresses

1996-12-03 17:57:34
Subject: Re: ADSM's lack of knowledge of IP addresses
From: Martha McConaghy <URMM AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:57:34 EST
Melinda,

I agree with you on the display of the IP address associated with a session.
I have an arsenal of routines that scan different console logs and router
arp data looking for bad IP addresses and potential spoofers.  The display
would enable me to check the ADSM console as well.  It seems to me that
ought to be a fairly minor change.  Recording it in the database would
be more work, and wouldn't be as useful to me.  Still, my ADSM shop is
tiny compared to yours.

As for the ability to limit the access of certain IP addresses, that has
some possibilities.  For example, I could use it to prevent users from
tying up limited resources.  We have a small SLIP/PPP service, currently
8 incoming connections.  Some users have been known to take their
ADSM clients home and use it to backup their personal machines.  Not only
does this add more data to the ADSM server, but it ties up the SLIP/PPP
lines for many hours.  (One person lets it run all night.)  As the demand
for our SLIP/PPP connections grow, this will become a real problem.  Your
idea could allow me to do the converse, prevent some addresses from accessing
the server at all.  I would also like to be able to prevent people off
of the Internet from using my ADSM server if they should hack the node and
password.  Sounds reasonable to me.

Martha