ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Year 2000 compliant

1996-12-03 17:38:57
Subject: Re: ADSM Year 2000 compliant
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:38:57 EST
On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:08:22 EST Bil McKinley said:
>     Does anyone have proof that ADSM is year 2000 compliant?
>
>     We run ADSM Server on MVS 5.2 with 300+ clients of
>     various flavors, NT 4.0, SUN, SOLARIS, UNIX, AIX.

If you use ADSM archive from AIX, beware of the following bug that IBM
introduced (at fix level 3?).  They changed ADSM to ignore the DATEFORMAT
option (as well as a couple of others), and instead use the AIX date
format options.  I think this was done to comply with some unix standard.
In any case, the default AIX date format uses 2-digit years.  The problem
is that the dsm gui interface will then only provide you with the
ability to specify 2-digit years for the archive and expiration date
ranges.  So, if you have any archive files that expire after 12/31/99,
you will not be able to retrieve them.  I don't know if this is also a
problem with the dsmc command line interface, but I suspect it might be.

I opened an APAR on this, and a PTF is forthcoming.  I don't think it's
available yet, but I'm not positive about that.  The solution will be
to treat years starting at "00" as 2000, instead of 1900.

Personally, I find this whole situation distasteful, but at least I will
be able to get my files back now.  It wouldn't have been nearly so
distasteful if I could have easily changed the AIX date format option, but
that requires a C compiler, which I don't have on many of my systems.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Network & Computing Systems        Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601