ADSM-L

Re: Drives for ATL DLT libraries?

1996-12-03 12:34:45
Subject: Re: Drives for ATL DLT libraries?
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:34:45 +0000
>Does ADSM v2r1 support ATL DLT libraries with DLT4000 drives?
>We need to increase our capacity and have been looking at
>ATL 2/28 and 2/52 to replace our Quantum 4700s. Looking at
>the README for the latest ADSM server for AIX, I see that
>there is only support for DLT2000 drives with ATL libraries.
>We need at least DLT4000 drives, at best DLT7000. Has anyone
>tried using either 4000 or 7000 drives in an ATL library
>with ADSM?

I'm pleased you raised this question as we are planning on buying
a DLT tape library and the ATL 2/28 and 2/52 were leading contenders
for us. I had assumed that the DLT4000 drives were supported for this
as I had seen DLT 4000 drives recently added to a range of DLT
libraries that are supported. Looking more closely at the most recent
release READMEs I was disturbed to find that you were correct, in that
although DLT 4000 drives are supported in ADIC Scalar, Breece Hill
and TTi libraries, they are not in the ATL DLT range. Also the
2/52 doesn't specifically get a mention.

Have you got any responses to your query from IBM/ADSM or anyone
else using these libraries ?

If not, it would be worthwhile if we could find out whether they
intend to add support in the near future.

 Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems Division
                          University College London