ADSM-L

stgpool migration question

1996-12-02 11:18:48
Subject: stgpool migration question
From: Dave Crockett <crockett AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 08:18:48 PST
Dirk:
> When I read the Administrator's Guide, I found out, that
> ADSM begins to migrate ALL data from the node with the largest
> file space first, when the highmigvalue is reached. This makes no
> sense for me, because we have one server with a 7GB file space that
> is backed up and several small worstation. Now the whole server
> files space has been moved to the tape storage pool and that's
> NOT what I want.
> Can someone explain the strange behaviour of the migration
> facility?

Not much to explain except that is the way it was designed to work.
If collocation is not used, this helps the filespaces files be migrated
together.  If migration would stop, you can also imagine over time you
would have pieces of many filespaces still on disk.  When these do get
migrated it would cause more tape mounts if collocation is used, and more
fragmentation on tapes if collocation is not used.

> How can I undo the migration process? The cached copies of the
> workstation files are still on the disk.

If you never want this filespace to migrate, you could assign it to a
storage pool that has not next pool.  If you want to "undo" the
migration, if you know which tapes it was migrated to, you can use
move data to move the files back to a disk storage pool.  Your cached
copies of the files will be freed up as needed.

Dave Crockett
ADSM development