ADSM-L

ADSM's lack of knowledge of IP addresses

2015-10-04 18:12:14
Subject: ADSM's lack of knowledge of IP addresses
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 11/26/96 3:53PM
Because I work in a company that seems to believe that the favorite pasttime
of workers is to  move to a new location, I would like to clarify this a
little.  We have never been all that hung up about the security issue - and I
really like the idea that ADSM does not have IP address tracking.  The last
thing I would want to do is to have to keep track of the IP addresses of all
of my customers as they zoom into the 1000's.  And then there are the mobile
users (such as myself) that have Laptops and use ADSM both from home and at
the office.  We use Shiva for home dialup access, and when a user (such as
myself) has it, they may appear with multiple  addresses.  Indeed - my Shiva
address is taken from a pool and so I am never guaranteed of having the same
address from one session to another.

Therefore, what I would like to clarify is that are you asking for the IP
address checking to be optional - established as an installation (or possibly
policy domain) level check?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com