ADSM-L

Netware 4.1 and File Compression

1996-11-26 23:42:56
Subject: Netware 4.1 and File Compression
From: Dianne Sharp <DSHARP AT CLEAR.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 17:42:56 +1300
We have 3 Netware 4.1 servers which support data compression.

In the ADSM Client option file, I have not specified COMPRESSION as an
option, therefore I understand it should default to NO.

The Compression option for the Nodes is Client determined.

However, it appears that the data is sent to the ADSM Server (V1 on MVS)
in compressed format because the amount of data checks out with the
compressed amount on the Netware servers.

THE PROBLEM :

It appears that when the ADSM backups are running, the Netware server
CPU utilisation goes right up because, according to our Netware "gurus",
it is uncompressing files for ADSM to read.

Does this mean that they are uncompressed by Netware, then compressed
again by ADSM?
Does anyone understand this whole compression thing?  If so,  I would
love to hear from you ASAP.

Thanks.

Dianne Sharp
Operations Analyst