ADSM-L

Re: ADSM's lack of knowledge of IP addresses

1996-11-26 13:09:31
Subject: Re: ADSM's lack of knowledge of IP addresses
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:09:31 -0500
Your comment is very interesting for me because we are VERY interested
in network security.
I would like to know how user department thinks they can maintain
security by using the IP address, because we haven't found a way.

Any Win95 user, for example, can simply go into control panel/Network
and change their IP address to yours.  It's much easier to steal than
your password!

Besides that, there is such a shortage of IP addresses in the world we
(along with many other TCP/IP users) will be switching to DHCP shortly.
(Which is a way of obtaining your IP address dynamically when you boot
from a network pool of available addresses, so every machine doesn't
have to have its own).