ADSM-L

ADSM's lack of knowledge of IP addresses

1996-11-26 11:13:37
Subject: ADSM's lack of knowledge of IP addresses
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 11:13:37 EST
Twice this week, I've had a user department tell me that they will stop
using ADSM because it allows a restore to be done to a machine at an IP
address other than the one used when the client was registered.  They
feel that password protection is not sufficient, but that the combination
of password and IP address would be adequate.

I have been pleading for years for ADSM to record the IP address used
when the client registers and to report the IP address each time a client
connects.

To that I now add a plea (optionally) to limit access to a specific IP
address for each node.  And, obviously, the administrator would need
the ability to change the IP address for a node, as well as to
enable/disable the restriction globally and by node.

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University