ADSM-L

Re: Database size problems

1996-11-25 13:19:35
Subject: Re: Database size problems
From: Mike Collins <ecollins AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:19:35 -0700
Hi Wanda,

For your very short term requirements you may be able to use the
client configuration utility that ships with the full ADSM for
Windows NT package.  The package is currently available as a try/buy
from ADSM's web site:

  http://www.storage.ibm.com/storage/software/adnttry.htm

The client configuration utility is a wizard in the ADSM server
utilities. The utilities get installed as part of the server component.

The way it works is as follows:

  Machine with                  Machine with
  ADSM/NT server                ADSM/NT/95 client
  +---------------+             +---------------+
  |utils          |             |client         |
  |               |             |               |
  |c:\shared      |-------------|z:             |
  +---------------+             +---------------+

1) The client configuration wizard will allow you to choose a
communications protocol and will then detect the associated
parameters required by the client. (works for TCP/IP, Named
Pipes, IPX/SPX, and NetBIOS) You can also override any value
so that you can point to any ADSM server whether it runs on
NT or not.

2) The wizard allows you to specify ADSM administrator contact
information and a base options file.  The base options file is
an ADSM client options file without the communications settings.
You can setup a specific exclude list in the base options file.

3) The wizard writes out a package (ex. mars1) consisting of the
following files to the location of your choice:

  dsmcfg.exe
  mars1.cfg
  mars1.bat
  base3.opt

If you name the package mars1 and store it in c:\shared and your win32
clients can connect to it as z:, then all clients can cd to z: and
issue mars1.  This will run mars1.bat which contains the single line:
dsmcfg mars1.cfg.  A GUI will pop-up on the client machine displaying
info on what it's about to do. (for ptf5 clients and above it knows
where the client is installed and will update the options file
directly, for pre-ptf5 clients the options file location can be
specified). The GUI prompts for a node name (defaults to the machine
name) and when OK is clicked the options file will be written.
Instructions are also given as to what to do if they can't connect
when done.

So, with this method you can setup any number of configuration files
and have any number of win32 clients type a name and click ok
to update their options file.

Your first 50 clients could enter mars1, next fifty could enter mars2,
etc. and each client would have a specific incl/excl list that you've
specified in the base options file.

It's possible to obtain the set of files that the wizard
creates and then edit the .cfg file by hand.  You could then start
at step 3.

This method requires each client to have access to a shared directory
and type a name but allows centralized distribution of ADSM options
files.

Regards,

Mike Collins
ADSM Development

ex. client configuration file (mars1.cfg)

*=======================================================================
* Note: This file was generated by an ADSM client configuration utility.
*
* Generated on Mon Nov 25 10:02:28 1996
*
* ADSM Administrator: mike@mars