ADSM-L

SUN/OS 5.3

1996-11-25 13:15:35
Subject: SUN/OS 5.3
From: Frank Rehor <Frank.Rehor AT CLOROX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:15:35 -0800
Hi,
We just inherited a SUN/OS 5.3 (read also as Solaris 2.3?) from a
department where the administrator suddenly left the company and now need
support (sound familiar?).  Nobody in my group has ever seen a SUN before
(we hope it's not too different from HP) and installed the 12(!) diskette
client code shipped by IBM (FEAT 7303, maint lvl 2.1.0.3, includes: PTF
IP20809).  We set it up on the MVS/V2 server just like our HP/UX clients
(register node, def schedule, def assoc, etc) but the schedule doesn't kick
off.  Looking at the client, the dsm.opt & dsm.sys are coded like our other
Unix platforms, and the /etc/inittab file is coded with the schedule daemon
command.  Yet if I do a ps -ef on dsmc it doesn't show as being an active
daemon.  If I start a background schedule command (nohup /usr/adsm/dsmc
schedule 2> /dev/null &) the command is accepted but the next time I hit
enter I get:'EXIT 255' followed by the command just entered.  What's
different with the SUN? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Frank Rehor