ADSM-L

Disaster Recovery of DB without Recovery Log

1996-11-20 10:20:53
Subject: Disaster Recovery of DB without Recovery Log
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:20:53 -0500
Date:     November 20, 1996            Time:    09:54
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (860) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
I am having some problems trying to do a Disaster Recovery simulation.  I have
I am having some problems trying to do a Disaster Recovery simulation.  I have
been through the Admin Reference, the server installation, and the redbook on
Recovery and Disaster recovery, and still can't find what I am looking for.
Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

According to the Disaster Recovery Redbook, (section 5.2.6.2 on page 63)  Step
1 is to allocate a new DB and recovery log, and options file, and step 2 is to
run  the restore for the DB.  Unfortunately, they did not give any JCL
examples.

This does not seem to work for me.  Here is what I have done:

1.  Set up new DB and Recovery log files.  This was done through the ANRFMT
process.

2.  Have access to existing disklog, history, configuration, and server
options file.

3.  I start a batch job executing DSMSERV, with a parm of '/restore db
todate=today'

The result of step 3 is that the restore fails with an ANR0259E message,
stating that it could not find any complete restart/checkpoint information
from the database or recovery log.  This of course is true, since I have no
recovery log - it is empty at this point, since it only has been formatted.

Is there a parm available to tell it to skip checkpoint processing?   Should
we have run DSMSERV with a "/install .... parm to have it initialize the
recovery log first?

I can see how to reload the DB using DumpDB and LoadDB, but this is not a
practical disaster recovery scenario, since DumpDB requires the server to be
down first.

Jerry Lawson