ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Version 2 VM Server?

1996-11-20 03:17:30
Subject: Re: ADSM Version 2 VM Server?
From: Michel Gaillard <Michel.Gaillard AT VZ.CIT.ALCATEL DOT FR>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:17:30 +0100
Jeff Brooks wrote:

> We finally got the media for the ADSM V2 server for VM.
> I could use some advice on whether to upgrade our
> existing server in place (with major backups, of course)
> or run a test server for a while.  Experiences, anyone?
>
>    Jeffrey A. Brooks                  (304) 293-5192
>    IBM Systems Group                  jeff AT wvnvm.wvnet DOT edu
>    West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing
>    Morgantown, West Virginia  26505
Hello Jeff,

We are running ADSM on VM ESA 2.1 and are in the process of moving
our 13 ADSM servers (!) from Version 1 R1 Level 0.16 to Version 2 R1
Level 0.9.
We got an "ESP" code last summer, tested it, and decided to migrate the
prod. servers.

We already migrated 6 out of 13 without any problem.

The upgrade from V1 to V2 is really easy : just install the code, run
DSMSERV /UPGRADEDB and that's it !!
What you need to do is to register the licenses of the nodes you already
have in your production system.
We had also to increase the loader table stuff in the ADSM server
profile exec (SET LDRTBLS 50 is now in effect).

I can see 3 steps in moving to V2 :

1) Upgrade to V2 : really easy ; no new functions enabled.
2) Use some of the new stuff : Admin sched, Backup DB (really good !)..
3) Use the copy storage pools for Disaster Recovery and do your own
    procedure to cope with the absence of the DRM on VM !

Step 3 is really the big issue and my company the copy of the storage
pools will be quiet long (almost 20 millions files stored in the
servers).

I would install V2 first on a test server, check that everything is OK
and then migrate your production server(s).

Good Luck and feel free to ask questions..

Cheers, Michel
--
Michel Gaillard
Michel Gaillard