ADSM-L

Re: Migration of 3380-3390 (VM, ADSM V1)

1996-11-14 14:55:34
Subject: Re: Migration of 3380-3390 (VM, ADSM V1)
From: "Steven P. Roder" <TKSSTEVE AT UBVM.CC.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:55:34 EST
On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:43:07 -0500 Terrence W. Zellers said:
>Could anyone please give me a summary of how to move a server
>with all disks on 3380's to 3390's.  We've tried export server -
>it apparently tried to copy the tapes as well.  We've combed
>the manuals, but haven't been able to put it all together: this
>"high concept" documentation is for the birds.  No high concept
>here: the '80's are going out the door; we need ADSM moved to
>the '90's with all current data intact, and we don't need to
>spend a week copying tapes with good data already on them.

I am going to be doing this also, and my plan is to define new database
and log disks on the 3390's (RAMAC, in our case), and then issue the
ADSM "delete" command against the database and log disks on the 3380's.
It is my assumption that this will cause ADSM to migrate all the data to
the 3390's.

Another way would involve issuing the dumpdb command, reinitializing the
server with the 3390 disks, and then doing a loaddb, followed by an
auditdb.

Anyone see any problems with either of these two methods?  Of course, using
method one, the server will still be available, whereas the dump/load/audit
will have the server unavailable, and this process could take several days
to complete.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,