ADSM-L

Hard Links on UNIX

1996-11-14 13:34:41
Subject: Hard Links on UNIX
From: Francisco Franco <francisco.franco AT HYDRO.ON DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:34:41 -0500
Hi Folks,

We are running ADSTAR on AIX 3.2.5.  We are trying to implement HSM on
one
of our file systems.  However, when reading the latest patch release on
"ftp://ftp.cac.psu.edu/adsm/fixes/v2r1/aix/3.2/aix32.v2r1m5.IP20847.README";
I see the following message:

+--- ATTENTION
-------------------------------------------------------------+

| The RESTOREMIGSTATE option does not support hardlinked files.  If
you     |
| The RESTOREMIGSTATE option does not support hardlinked files.  If
you     |
| attempt to restore a stub file for a hardlinked file, a stub file is
not  |
| restored unless all of the files that are hardlinked together have
been   |
| deleted from the local file
system.                                       |

| When one file in a set of hardlinked files is migrated, all of
the        |
| hardlinked files in the set become stub files.  When you issue
the        |
| RESTORE command with the RESTOREMIGSTATE option, and ADSM restores a
stub |
| file for a hardlinked file, the stub file has the same name as the
file   |
| that was originally migrated.  Stub files are not restored for any
other  |
| files that were previously in the hardlinked set of
files.                |

We have some hard linked files in our filesystem and have run into
problems
where the user's process gets hung until we find all of the hard linked
files, then delete them and then re-link them again.  This is fixable in
a 2 GB filesystem, but we would like to implement HSM on our other
filesystems
totalling over 80 GB.  At this stage this becomes an unmanageable task.

Could anyone please share their experiences with the HSM portion of
ADSTAR
on AIX 3.2.5?  Especially when it comes to hard linked files.

Thanks,

--
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca