ADSM-L

Netware Include question: Backing up another server

2015-10-04 18:12:14
Subject: Netware Include question: Backing up another server
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 11/8/96 2:19PM
The first is to have the TSA NLM loaded on both NetWare machines.  TSA is
release dependant, so be careful - if the server is a 3.x box, then it should
be running either TSA311 or TSA312.  If it is 4.x, then the module is TSANDS.
The TSA NLMs provide communications between the servers, and are required by
NetWare.  It also helps to have then at least at the same level on all
machines.  Probably the newer the better.

I did find that this was a slow process - when we tried to back up large
files, performance dropped on both machines, to the point where we got
performance calls.   This was on older processors (386 50 Mhz machines, most
likely) so if you are running a faster chip, it may not be an issue.

I also put a domain statement in my DSM.OPT on the machine doing the actual
backup, that included the server name and file system  DOMAIN SERVERA/SYS:  I
also included an NWUSER and NWPASS statement to handle the netware user id
prompts.  Check the syntax in the manual if you have a question.

Since all of our machines are in the building anyway, we found that while this
did work, there was no real advantage to it, and so don't do it any more.  For
one thing, there is a lot of Network overhead, since files are moved from one
server to the other before they are sent to ADSM, so in essence, there is
double I/O for every file moved.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com