ADSM-L

Data spanning multiple tapes

1996-10-31 20:55:45
Subject: Data spanning multiple tapes
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:55:45 PST
> I was saving a copy of the output of a SHOW VOLUMEUSAGE * command and
> stumbled on the fact I had several tapes which a  Q VOL command said ha
> data but did not show up on the SHOW VOLUMEUSAGE * listing.    When I
>  listed the contents of the volume using a Q CONTENT volname F=D, COUNT
> it shows a single file with the segment number of 2/2.    I am assuming
> this file spanned two tapes and is now an orphan.    Or the SHOW VOLUME
> command does not recognize the second segment.      Does anybody know i
> this is actual data or data that is just hanging around.

There will be no references to orphaned segments in a healthy database.
Any segments displayed by the Query Content command should be valid data.  You
can test this by issuing an Audit Volume or Move Data command for the volume
with the single segment.  You should find that two volumes get mounted
since the file spans two volumes.

Keep in mind that Show Volumeusage is not a supported command.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development