ADSM-L

VM Server and Timezone Changes (xDT->xST)

1996-10-29 10:37:19
Subject: VM Server and Timezone Changes (xDT->xST)
From: Bill Hunter <BHUNTER AT UA1VM.UA DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 09:37:19 CST
Hello, We are experiencing problems with our first timezone change for
our ADSM server (V1 R2 Level 0.15/1.15 on VM/ESA V2.1.0).  It appears
that with a WIN95 client (V2 R1 Level 0.3), when I do an incremental,
all files are being backed up.  It appears that there is some confusion
relative to timestamps.

We are using the C/370 V2.1.0 runtime library.  Looking in the time
information config file I see that we have 'TZDIFF=1500'.  It looks
like this says "timezone difference from GMT is obtained from the system".

On Sunday we went from an offset of 5 hours west to 6 hours for the
central timezone.  We did this via a "set timezone cst".  Later that
morning (for unrelated reasons) we re-ipl'ed our system.  Note that we
did not change the TOD clock.

I feel sure that it is not the intent of ADSM to back up all files when an
incremental is done after a daylight savings time change.  Is the behaviour
I'm seeing expected for the way I have my C local time configured?  Any
suggestions on how to get around this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill Hunter
The U. of Alabama