ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Notes Agent

1996-10-28 23:31:09
Subject: Re: ADSM Notes Agent
From: "Paul C. Beck" <beckpau AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 23:31:09 EST
Addressed to: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
              Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM

** Reply to note from "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:23:58 -0400

   The Notes agent backs up Notes databases MUCH slower than the ADSM/2 client
- after all,
it has to examine each document and determine whether it has already been
backed up, has
changed, etc.  The Notes agent backup is also much shorter, since it only backs
up the
documents that have changed since the last backup.

   In our environment, less than 5% of documents change on a daily basis, so
our daily
backup load is significantly less - and takes much less time - than our weekly
file backup of
our Notes servers.  We conduct weekly file (ADSM client) backups to speed up
restores.
Restoring 10,000 documents takes about as much time as restoring 10,000 small
files.
Restoring one larger file takes much less time, then we only have to restore
the documents
which have changed since the file backup.

23:29:28    10/28/96
23:29:28    10/28/96
Paul C. Beck
Sr. Systems Engineer