ADSM-L

Microsoft Windows Client Install

1996-10-28 15:18:05
Subject: Microsoft Windows Client Install
From: Betsy Moir <Elizabeth.Moir AT VM.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 14:18:05 -0600
To: OAS     --LMS1

FROM: Betsy Moir (TTCEDM) Ext 85020
      VM Tech Services
      email:  elizabeth.moir AT vm.ssw.abbott DOT com

We have about 200 Windows, Windows NT and Windows 95 clients that run off
NT and Netware file servers.  We also keep their .OPT files on the server as
username.OPT and point them at the correct .OPT file in properties, i.e.
p:\winapps\adsm\dsm.exe -optfile=p:\winapps\adsm\username.OPT.  In the
.OPT file we use the SCHEDLOGNAME option to keep their schedule log files on
their own PC's.  The only drawback to this setup is you can't do the same
thing for the ERRORLOG name and consequently everybody's errors go to the
same log file on the file server.  It's been working great for us.

If there's anything else I can tell you about, just let me know.  We actually
have LAN administrator personnel who maintain this, but there haven't been
any significant problems and we've been doing it this way for about 2 years.

Betsy
*** Forwarding note from OWNERAD1--INTERNET 96/10/28 13:18 ***

TO:          INTERNET  ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
FROM: OWNERAD1 INTERNET  OWNER-ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
DATE: 10/28/96 13:18
SUBJECT: Microsoft Windows Client Install
COPYLIST:
I have reviewed prior discussions of client installs, but none seemed to
confirm or negate that the Microsoft windows client could be run from
the LAN (i.e. the executables being only installed once on the LAN, with
of course, the DSM.OPT and logging files being maintained on the
client). Is any organization doing this successfully?  For our
installation, we also have AFS / SAMBA potentially for Windows95. Has
any one tried to run the client from SAMBA?  If they won't run that way,
why? And is IBM providing for it in the future?

--
Otto J. Schnirer                  Computing and Network Services,
Otto J. Schnirer                  Computing and Network Services,