ADSM-L

Re: Win 32-bit Problems

2015-10-04 18:12:49
Subject: Re: Win 32-bit Problems
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 10/27/96 6:30PM
Jerry Lawson
________________________Forward Header________________________
Author: INTERNET.OWNERAD
10-27-96 06:30 PM

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:14:01 -0700 Mike Collins said:
>I've been working on the ptf1 full package install and have been
>talking with the developers responsible for the win32 client install.
>I've added a deinstall function for pre-ptf5 clients and expect it
>will be available in the win32 client install starting with ptf6.
>
>The way this works is as follows, comments are welcome. Please keep
>in mind that this is making up for there not being a real uninstall
>program with the earlier packages.

Mike,

First of all, thank you for soliciting feedback on your proposed changes.
The opportunity is very much appreciated.

Your approach to handling pre-PTF5 files seems reasonable (though another
approach might be to only search through the directories listed in your
PATH:).  However, I did not see any mention of how you plan to handle the
DSM.OPT file.  If a user is upgrading from pre-PTF5, will you seek out and
carry forward a pre-existing DSM.OPT file?  I hope so.

You mentioned that you were hoping to include some other items that were
discussed in earlier mailfiles.  Let me take this opportunity to encourage
you to allow sites to pre-customize the DSM.OPT file and the README file(s)
before they re-distribute the code at their sites.  The PTF5 install package
(InstallShield) removed this capability, which we were very dependent upon.

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601