ADSM-L

Win 32-bit Problems

1996-10-26 04:14:01
Subject: Win 32-bit Problems
From: Mike Collins <ecollins AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:14:01 -0700
Mitch,

Mitch Sako writes:
 > I took the latest fix for 32-bit Win off the ftp server (ip20863, level 0.5)
 > and tried to upgrade a level 0.3 for a version 2 client.  I've applied it
 > to both NT and Win95 that were running 0.3.
 >
 > First, it went from 2 floppies to 5 floppies.  The InstallWizard stuff seems
 > the be the most likely culprit/reason for this, no problem.

Level 5 includes the new win32 administrative client as well as the
backup-archive client which accounts for much of the increase in size.

 > The problem appears to be that it does not overlay/replace the old version
 > correctly as they have in the past.  The following seems to be happening:
 >
 >   1.  The dsm.opt file gets overwritten or is in a new place, the old values
 >       do not seem to be carried forward. You need to change the server parms
 >       and any .opt options you may have had in the old version.

This was a problem with the ptf5 install. Please save your dsm.opt
file before installing the win32 ptf5 client. Then copy it into the
new adsm\baclient and adsm\saclient directories after the ptf5 install
completes.

This is expected to be fixed in ptf6. (Also in the ADSM for Windows NT
full product (server,saclient,baclient,server utils,books,multimedia,etc)
ptf1 package)

 >   2. The new icons do not exactly overlay the old ones. Old versions of some
 >      of the executables seem to be called when the icon is launched.  This
 >      appears to be cleaned up with multiple reboots but not always.

You're correct, since the pre-ptf5 client did not have an uninstall
program previous versions were not cleaned up.  A manual deinstall of
pre-ptf5 win32 clients is one way to prevent this when installing ptf5.
To delete icons and folders, simply select them and press the del key.
To remove the dir containing the older adsm files select the dir in
file manager and press the del key.  On the plus side, ptf5 does have
an uninstall program so in the future this will not be such a problem.

 >   3.  The 0.3 level does not have an uninstall icon and apparently cannot
 >       be uninstalled cleanly.

True, pre-pt5 win32 clients did not have uninstall capability. We had
recv'd a lot of good feedback on this list and elsewhere regarding
what was good and bad about the install for the win32 client and full
package installs.  The win32 client install is basically a subset of
the full package install although there are some differences. The
win32 client for example has to be installable from diskettes and
there are upgrades to contend with.  The full package just went GA
at the end of Sept, is only available on CD, and didn't have to deal
with upgrades.

I've been working on the ptf1 full package install and have been
talking with the developers responsible for the win32 client install.
I've added a deinstall function for pre-ptf5 clients and expect it
will be available in the win32 client install starting with ptf6.

The way this works is as follows, comments are welcome. Please keep
in mind that this is making up for there not being a real uninstall
program with the earlier packages.

If you choose to install the baclient and it's detected that ptf5 or
later has not been installed a dialog box will appear asking if you
want to scan your system for previous client installations.  If you
choose yes, your computer's hard drives will be efficiently scanned
for directories containing the ADSM files. If found, you will be given
the following options

 - don't delete the dir, but keep looking
 - delete this dir and keep looking
 - stop looking for previous adsm files.

This will help you to clean up any number of older installs...

It will then look for an existing ADSM program folder and will offer
to remove it and the icons in it.

It will then look at your ADSM environment variables and warn you
if there are any potential conflicts.

It will then continue with the install.

There are a number of other items that were discussed earlier
that we want to include in the ptf6 and ptf1 installs but I need
to hold off comments for another week or two.

 >   4.  The install wizard does not seem to end cleanly.  You end up
 >       being queried if you want to read a README and then it simply
 >       exits on most occasions
 >       (it did tell me once that a reboot was necessary).

Installshield detects whether or not any files that are being
installed are currently in use.  If so, it will set things up so that
the copy completes on the next reboot.  In this case the exit path
out of the installation program will suggest a reboot.  Otherwise,
it's normal behavior to offer the readmes and exit.

Regards,

Mike Collins
ADSM Development