ADSM-L

Re: Question About 3172 Offload With MVS TCPIP

1996-10-22 12:52:34
Subject: Re: Question About 3172 Offload With MVS TCPIP
From: Jeff Koeberl <koeberl AT EXECPC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:52:34 -0500
James SPORER wrote:

> We are currently running ADSM version 2.1 and IBM MVS TCPIP version 3.1 on a
> 3172 look-a-like device without the offload feature.  We are planning to
> replace
> the current hardware with a 3172.  Does it make any sense to use the offload
> feature?  Will that make any improvements in our ADSM backup throughput?
> Thanks
> in advance for any help.
> james.sporer AT mail.admin.wisc DOT edu

My experience has been that offload cuts your host TCP cycles by less than 10%,
while cutting your
throughput in half.  I believe old IBM 3172 performance doc showed that is in
the ballpark.  BTW: If
you have a CMOS machine, you should look at an 0SA alternative - cheaper yet
better performance.

Jeffery V. Koeberl                        HTTP://www.execpc.com/~koeberl
Jeffery V. Koeberl                        HTTP://www.execpc.com/~koeberl
Systems Coordinator                       Live to improve.
Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co.    Opinions mine, not theirs. ;^)
~~~~~~~~  Those who can, Windsurf.   Those who cannot, jetski.  ~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~  Those who can, Windsurf.   Those who cannot, jetski.  ~~~~~~~~