ADSM-L

W95 Client, restore possibilities

1996-10-22 11:47:00
Subject: W95 Client, restore possibilities
From: "Rovers, G (GRO)" <gro AT OUH DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:47:00 +2C
     Hi there,

     Problem:

I'm currently evaluating the 32-bit Windows client for W95/NT.
We're using already ADSM for our DOS, Windows 3.x and OS/2 machines.
Now I want to be able to use ADSM to reinstall a new PC., that is :
I have made a 'default installation' for a PC with W95, and I have
backupped it with ADSM W95 client.
This goes great, it even supports long files names, wow...but now I want
to do a restore......
I've a new PC, with nothing on it. The ONLY way to this is (in my
opinion...:-)  ) is to first
REINSTALL W95 and then do a restore from ADSM ???? If a use another ,
let's say DOS or OS/2
client I'm able to see the Backup Set but can't restore anything, because
it says I have the wrong
File System.

Question:

1. Is there a way, perhaps a simply W95 diskette with somekind of TCP/IP
stack and a ADSM client,
    to restore a W95 backup from ADSM without reinstalling W95 first ?

2. Is there a simmilair solution for NT4.0 ?

3. Whatever hints you can give me with ADSM...

TIA,
Guido Rovers
System Administrator
Open university Holland.