ADSM-L

Novell NetWare question

1996-10-17 14:30:39
Subject: Novell NetWare question
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:30:39 EDT
I am posting this for one of our NetWare administrators.  I am hoping
that someone on this list who has some NetWare experience might have some
good suggestions for him (my NetWare expertise is next to nil).
Thanks in advance.
..Paul
--
 I have a netware 4.1 server using ADSM for backups of the file system and
 I have a netware 4.1 server using ADSM for backups of the file system and

 As a last resort I know it is possible to delete the USERS: volume, recreate
 a new and larger USERS: volume on the new drive then restoring the NDS and
 file system info via ADSM.  I am hoping there is a less drastic method.

 I have been able to duplicate the USERS: volume file system on to a new
 volume, but not the NDS rights.  I've tried using NCOPY, WIN95 drag 'n drop,
 and ADSM's restore all with similar results.

 I have tried renaming volumes via the Install utility, and found that the
 NDS rights are automatically updated with the new volume name.  So, if there
 is a way to copy (or restore) the NDS information associated with the file
 system from one volume to another, I could then safely delete the current
 USERS volume and then rename the new volume to USERS: and be done.

 The ADSM manual indicates there is a "-VOLinformation" switch that can
 restore the trustee directory assignments for the ROOT directory of a
 volume.  But, when I tried "load dsmc res users:/shared/cso/*
 testvol1:/shared/cso/ -vol -su=yes" the files were restored without the
 rights assignments.

 Any suggestions would be welcomed.
 //////////////////////////////////////////
 \    Jeff Bishop                         \
 /    Network Admin/Micro Systems Mgr.    /
 \    Technology Services@ILR/JGSM        \
 /    173 Ives Hall, Cornell University   /
 \    Ithaca, NY 14853                    \
 /    (voice) (607) 255-7632              /
 \    (fax)   (607) 255-7774              \
 /    (e-mail) jpb6 AT cornell DOT edu           /
--
Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757