ADSM-L

Re: problems with Webshell

1996-10-17 07:44:55
Subject: Re: problems with Webshell
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 13:44:55 +0200
Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM> wrote:

>      What exactly is the "WebShell" ?

WebShell is the WWW client of ADSM. It contains an embedded Web server. If
it is installed on your ADSM client machine, you can use your favourite
WWW browser to do backups and restores (and archives and retrieves too).
As far as I know, it is available for Windows, OS/2 and AIX. If you visit
the FTP-Server and look at the directory for the resp. platform, you will
find a file named "winweb.exe"/"os2web.exe"/"aixweb.tar".

I was highly interested in the aixweb, because it promised to solve an old
problem of mine: let users restore files even if they are not allowed to
login to the file server which performs the backups. So I installed the
aixweb on that machine. My first impression was, that it takes some time to
get used to it, but then it does the job. But there is one major problem:
Every WebShell user has to be registered and must be assigned a password.
This is done by invoking a program named "mkwspwsd". Do I want to introduce
a separate user management for our >20000 users? You might guess it: no! So
forget it.

WebShell is probably more addressed at people who want to stick to one
user interface: the WWW browser. (But do those people know, what a file
is? ;-))

Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488