ADSM-L

Re: Device Support Module 4

1996-10-17 03:58:13
Subject: Re: Device Support Module 4
From: "P.R.S.Wright" <Peter.Wright AT JET DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 08:58:13 +0100
> We are in the process of purchasing ADSM.  Our server
> will be MVS.  We have installed and tested it out, and
> now it is time to sign on the line and start paying our bill to
> IBM.  My question is: What does Device Support Module
> 4 do for me?  The document on ADSM indicates that
> DSM4 is needed to "support" our STK 9310
> (Powderhorn) library ... but... I don't  believe that ADSM
> can tell if tapes are being accessed in the 9310 or just on
> our standalone drives.  Even if ADSM can determine
> 9310 usage, what additional function/service do I get for
> the rather large (more than double) cost increase of
> DSM4?  We have been running the trial with DSM3 and
> DSM4 disabled and everything seems to be running fine.

We run an MVS 5.1.0 system with an STK Powderhorn with 4490 drives and
run ADSM 2.1.0.9 with DSM 2 without any problems. As far as MVS and ADSM
are concerned the drives are manually operated. The 'library' support in
DSM 3/4 must refer to IBM tape libraries, where the control software is
integrated into MVS and SMS, and ADSM knows how to interact with it.

| Peter.Wright AT jet DOT uk                            | | | |__  | |        |
| JET Joint Undertaking                       _  | | | ___| | |        |
| Abingdon, Oxfordshire                       \\_| | | |__  | |        |
| England OX14 3EA Tel:(+44)1235 464822        \__/  |____| |_|        |