ADSM-L

Re: Multiple Clients Doing "Expiring-->"

1996-10-16 19:47:16
Subject: Re: Multiple Clients Doing "Expiring-->"
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:47:16 EDT
On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:03:00 -0400 dan (d.) edwards said:
>It appears the problem lies when two or more clients begin "Expiring-->"
>during incremental backups. This grinds every session to a trickle,

Dan,

Thanks for sharing your observation, and also for the nice detail.  I
think we may be seeing something like this.  We just had a user
(today!) tell us that their backup was pausing for long periods (e.g.,
an hour), for no apparent reason.  Just a day or two ago, we started
backing up a mail server with half a million files.  Now I am wondering
if the "Expiring -->" activity on this mail server may be causing
performance problems for other backups.  (I know this is a stretch)

We do not run SMP.  We are on a 41T running 2.1.0.7.  So, what we are seeing
may not be related at all to your problem.  But then again....

..Paul