ADSM-L

db sizing and perf questions

1996-10-15 18:12:19
Subject: db sizing and perf questions
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:12:19 EDT
I have questions  about the adsm db. I  do not believe that these  are new new
questions. But I do not remember the answers and they might be of the form "it
depends" on your release level....

If the  answewr changes based  on platform  or code level,  we have a  VM adsm
server ver 1 at maint level .17 that  is growing in use. We plan to upgrade to
ver 2 when it is available.  Our current DB usage is 33.3% of 1.6Gig
on 2 physical volumes.

Is it best  to increase the disk space  for the data base all at  once? Or add
space as one needs the growth?

If we  add db space in  small parts on  different volumes we can  increase the
number of  concurrent i/o's but  will have an increase in the number of threads
that have to be managed. Are there any quidelines for this. Would it be better
to have  a few whole  pack db extents  or a series of  500, 1000 or  2000 cyls
extents? Should they be keep equal sized as is recommended for the cms sfs?

Some file systems do  not perform well if one lets them fill  or come close to
same. Does  adsm belong  in this group?  If so, are  there any  guidelines for
this?

Some files systems (databases) require  different amounts of reorganization to
optimize the  storage patterns of  internal objects  that are subject  to many
updates over time.  For example the old fashion isam  file systems were pretty
bad and  required offloading and  reloading to help performance.  Some systems
were designed  with almost  self optimizing  algorithms. Others  had utilities
that could dynamically reorganize the  systems during idle periods. Where does
adsm fit into the scheme of things?

Is there anything a customer site can do to measure the need to reorganize the
adsm db?

Is there anything a customer site can do to reorganize the adsm db?

If one extends the  adsm db with a new extent and then  reduces it by removing
an old extent, will this just move the data, reorganize the data, or other?

Is there  a practical  limit to the size of an adsm db. That is when should
one create a 2nd or n'th adsm server instead of  extending an  existing one?
Are  there any  guidelines for  this.

Thanks len boyle

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513