ADSM-L

ANS4974E Error

1996-10-15 15:44:01
Subject: ANS4974E Error
From: Bob Thornton <bobt AT NETNET DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 12:44:01 -0700
To all the Netware 4.1 users of ADSM that are getting the ANS4974E
error and thinking they are doing something wrong with TSA.  It appears
to me that the problem may be a bug in how Novell is handling multiple
connections within the NDS.

     Our secured Novell id that ADSM uses to make the connection to the
Novell file servers was limited to 5 concurrent sessions.  When I changed
 this to unlimited connections, the problem has disappeared (for now).
In trouble shooting the problem, the ADSM id is not using the five
connections (and in somecases, no connection shows up at all) and we
still get the error message.  For what ever reason, it looks like
previous connections to the servers aren't being released, even though
they aren't being shown as an active connections.

     At the local NUI (Netware Users International) meeting last week,
the topic of not getting connected came up.  It seems that other 4.1
Novell shops are experiencing this error too, but they aren't running
ADSM.  The only thing in common is that users are trying to get connected
to the Novell server, but they get a message saying they are unable to
get logged on (exceeded connection limit).  When you check the servers
console for connections, the users are not logged in anywhere.

     We haven't reported the problem to Novell yet as we thought the
problem was related to what we are doing with ftp's.  But it appears this
problem is more wide spread than we thought.

     Questions for those users of ADSM and Netware 4.1, do you limit the
number of connections the ADSM users has to the NDS / servers.  If you
remove the limit, does the problem go away?  Lastly, are "regular" users
experiencing this sort of problem when they try to log on to the network?

     Question for the ADSM techies.  Is there anyway to force / tell the
 ADSM user what server / NDS context to use when it makes the connection
to the Netware 4.1 servers?  At times it looks like the id is trying to
log in at the root of the NDS, instead of the context / server that is
making the request during the backup.  Can this be added to the command
line for the nwuser option?
IE ... -nwuser=server1.sfi_corp.sfi\adsm:xxxxx or something like this?

Thanks! ..... Bob T

|  Bob Thornton            |   Schreiber Foods, Inc.      |
|  Bob Thornton            |   Schreiber Foods, Inc.      |
|  Network Administrator   |   P.O. Box 19010             |
|  Email: bobt AT netnet DOT net  |   Green Bay, Wi.  54307-9010 |
|                          |   Phone: (414) 437-7601      |