ADSM-L

Server Disaster

1996-10-14 16:44:53
Subject: Server Disaster
From: "David R. Reed" <950MREED AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:44:53 PDT
   As you will soon see, I am not too familiar with the operation of
the ADSM VM server.  In an attempt to move to new DASD, I mistakenly
used the DSMINST EXEC (instead of DSMMDISK) to add new minidisks.  I
see now that this was a HUGE mistake.  The only backup that I have of
the recovery log and database volumes is a DDR backup from the previous
week.  I restored my recovery log and database minidisks (200/300 &
201/301) from the DDR tape, and now receive the following at startup:

ANR0900I Processing options file DSMSERV.OPT.
ANR0990I ADSM server restart-recovery in progress.
ANR0215W Recovery log volume 0200 is in the off-line state - VARY ON required.
ANR0200I Recovery log assigned capacity is 28 megabytes.
ANR0201I Database assigned capacity is 116 megabytes.
ANR0306I Recovery log volume mount in progress.
ANR0353I Recovery log analysis pass in progress.
ANR0354I Recovery log redo pass in progress.

DM0001S Run-time assertion failed: "recLen + sizeof( tbKeyDir ) <= nodeP->info.f

DSM server terminating operation - internal error TBINS069 detected.

   At this point, I don't much care if I lose the data in the storage pool,
but I would really like to avoid having to recreate all of the system setup
info from the previously existing system (schedules, tape storage pool #'s,
authorizations, etc.)
   Does anyone know a graceful way out of the mess that I have gotten myself
into?  Any help will be tremendously appreciated.

David R.