ADSM-L

several beginning questions

1996-10-13 22:50:12
Subject: several beginning questions
From: Tom Kauffman <namffuak AT SKYENET DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:50:12 -0400
I'm a new ADSM administrator (just had a one-on-one with an IBM expert last
week) with a question or two --

we currently have a requirement to do month-end and year-end 'snapshots' to
be kept for legal reasons. As near as I can tell, the best way is selective
backup to a specific storage pool chain that doesn't expire (or has enough
versions to not cause problems). Is there another (or better) way?

Also - I'm coming from the mainframe CICS/IMS world, into the AIX/Oracle
environment; what *is* the preferred method for snapshots of an Oracle
database for possible later examination?

I'm running ADSM on an RS-6000/SP2 node, backing up *only* the other nodes
in the frames -- and have only one (1) 3590-B11 tape unit (see next post for
questions about *this* :-)

Tom Kauffman
Senior Systems Programmer
NIBCO, Inc.